You need to do basic WordPress SEO to improve site ranking and the fine-tuning of your website. Still there are a few basic simple steps that you can do for your WordPress SEO without any specific professional SEO knowledge.
You need to pay attention to the search engine optimization of your website. SEO improves the volume and increase the traffic to your website from search engines like Google, Yahoo and others. The better your WordPress SEO is, the better your site ranking and increases the chances to be noticed by visitors.
- Choose a SEO friendly WordPress theme for your website. With a SEO ready WordPress theme you can start boosting your web presence.
- Setup SEO friendly permalinks. The default WordPress permalink is ?p=. To change permalinks Go to Settings -> Permalinks. The preferred settings are either /post-name/ or /category/post-name/. Change the custom settings to >>postname>> or category>>postname accordingly.
- Avoid stop words. WordPress SEO plugin automatically removes the words like “a”, “the”, “and”, etc. from the URL when you do a sentence style post title. You might want to install it to save time on editing permalinks, and benefit from other useful SEO help.
- Titles are one of the most important factors for ranking in search engines. So you need to optimize your titles for SEO. Create anchor rich titles for your posts and try to use the same anchor words in the beginning of your article. Recommended title length is 7-8 word, between 40 and 70 characters. Make sure that your post title is always in h1 tag.
- For to improve SEO ranking you need to optimize images. Write good alt tags and pay attention to file names. Use proper naming to image file which may bring extra traffic from image search engines.
- Use breadcrumbs and links to related posts. Breadcrumbs allow users to navigate through your website easily, and search engines can easily determine the structure of your website. You can usually find them on the top of the page, they look like “Home > Articles > WordPress SEO. Links to the related posts allow users and search engines easily find your older content.
- Create a mobile version of your website or choose a responsive WordPress theme. Google penalizes the websites that are not mobile friendly. Such websites are downgraded in mobile search.
Use the above tips to improve your WordPress SEO. It is as easy as writing a blog post!